Friday, July 31, 2015

Book Review: Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J. Ryan Stradal



Eva has quite an interesting life.  Orphaned and then raised by her uncle and his wife (not realizing initially that they aren't her real parents) she never feels fully at home growing up.  Her parents are good people but not excited by food, as is Eva and as was her father.

Eva grows into a lovely and talented woman and chef.  She becomes renowned for her amazing dishes and instinctive grasp of food.  Characters come and go, sometimes not gracefully, but the narrative reads like your best friend telling you a story.

There are recipes, but for the most part they're simple ones.

What I love about this book is that it created a world and characters and they work.  I found myself lost in them.  I don't know much about the mid-west and reading this book I felt like I was learning more.  And that is what a good book and author are supposed to do.

I recommend this book!

No comments: